The Design Museum’s international programme plays a key role in the global reach of the museum, developing the museum’s influence and contributing to its financial success. Over the past twenty years, the museum has established a strong and successful programme of touring exhibitions which has helped build the museum’s brand and reputation globally, whilst securing significant income. More recently, the museum has begun offering advisory services to partners internationally, helping to further increase its international reach, forge new institutional partnerships and generate additional income in line with its ambitions for the next 10 years.
The Head of International Engagement leads on the museum’s international work, working with senior colleagues across the organisation. The role is responsible for the development and delivery of the museum’s touring exhibitions programme, and for supporting the museum’s international advisory services, and working with a wide range of staff from across the museum as well as external stakeholders to deliver engaging and commercially successful projects.
The Head of International Engagement leads the development and delivery of the touring exhibitions programme and international advisory services. They work closely with the Head of Exhibitions, Director of Audiences, Chief Curator, Museum Director and the museum’s governance to raise the profile of the museum and position the institution globally. The role is responsible for promoting, securing and delivering Design Museum touring exhibitions and supporting the development of its advisory services nationally and internationally. The post holder negotiates all touring exhibitions contracts with tour venues and contractors. The Head of International Engagement line-manages the Touring Exhibitions Project Manager and International Project Manager and works alongside the Head of Exhibitions to guide and support all members of the Exhibitions department on touring and international deliverables.
International strategy and delivery
- Deliver the museum’s international strategy and business plan to ensure maximum profile, impact and income is achieved, working with directors and other senior colleagues as appropriate.
- Deliver international KPIs and ensure all international programmes are delivered to maximise and exceed these performance indicators.
- Contribute to the Programme Approval process, working with the Forward Programme group to assess opportunities, consider potential risks and income prospects.
- Promote and sell the museum’s international services to fulfil business plan targets.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships across museums, cultural organisations, external advocacy and funding bodies etc. Develop the museum’s international networks.
- With the Director of Audiences, further develop and establish the museum’s international consultancy and advisory services, including framework and branding.
- Work with colleagues in Development, Learning, Retail and Publishing to maximise cross selling opportunities for exhibition tours and consultancy projects.
Touring programme and advisory services delivery
- Manage the successful planning and delivery of the touring programme and advisory projects, ensuring all projects are delivered efficiently, to the highest possible standard, on time and to budget.
- Oversee the Project Managers to manage all elements of touring exhibitions including loans, logistics, design development, budget management and venue liaison.
- Oversee the Touring Exhibitions Project Manager and the International Project Manager to manage international projects, including planning and delivery, relationship management and communication.
- Ensure Kensington exhibitions fulfil their touring potential and that project teams are incorporating touring requirements into the design development, loan strategies and contracts.
- Working with the Senior Project Manager and International Project Manager, promote the museum’s touring programme and international advisory services.
- Prepare and negotiate contracts between the museum, clients, and contractors.
- Ensure the museum delivers an excellent service to tour venues and consultancy clients. Lead on the evaluation of touring exhibitions and advisory services including analysis and reporting.
- Foster access, diversity and inclusion in the creation and delivery of the international programme, showcasing exhibitions which reflect global histories and cultures, inspiring communities and broadening the reach of the museum to connect across a diverse international public.
Management and leadership
- Lead, motivate and inspire the Exhibitions teams to deliver high quality touring exhibitions and advisory services.
- Lead by example to demonstrate and embed the museum’s values within the team and the wider museum.
- Together with the Head of Exhibitions and Senior Project Manager, allocate resources across the team across the temporary exhibitions, touring and consultancy portfolio to ensure the successful delivery of the Kensington and International programmes.
- Work with the Head of Exhibitions to support the management and development of the Exhibitions team.
- Continual development of the direct report(s) recognising success and addressing areas for development, supported by the annual appraisal process.
- Deputise for the Head of Exhibitions as required.
Financial and risk management
- Set budget, income and expenditure for touring / international in collaboration with the Director of Audiences and Director of Finance & Operations.
- Manage and monitor all touring exhibition budgets and advisory services budgets, liaising closely with the Finance team.
- Create risk and mitigation registers.
- Represent and advocate for the museum at industry events internationally.
- Monitor industry developments and share information with colleagues.