120 museum quality original posters. Plus book and magazine covers (5-6 each), record covers (8), rare collectibles and 20-30 editions of Interview magazine (published and partially written by Warhol). Considered to be one of the largest and most comprehensive collections in the world.
Andy Warhol was painter, illustrator, photographer and ﬁlm-maker; he published magazines and books; he ran the Factory, gave musicians and models a helping hand up on their way to fame – there is not much in the cultural activity of New York in the 1960s to 80s which he didn’t observe with a shrewd eye and often help to shape.
Warhol’s international breakthrough came in 1964/65 and it is during this period that, at the request of art gallery owners, he began to print his first posters. Like the paintings and his limited-edition graphic prints, they show stars from Elizabeth Taylor to Mick Jagger, or the banal-ties of the world of consumerism, whether soup cans or cows. From the early “mailers” – sent out by the gallery Owner Leo Castelli – up to the late reproductions of painting series, they proclaimed Warhol’s international success.
Alongside some 30 posters designed by Warhol, the exhibition also displays the prints after paintings and graphics with which Warhol’s series of works were presented in galleries. The question as to what constitutes the original, the design and the reproduction is the thread constantly running through these works.
Paintings Drawings & Prints
Available Package Options
Collection and interpretation
More Details About Technical Requirements
EXHIBITION MATERIALS - High resolution images, captions, wall texts.
DISPLAY - Reguires approx. 130 linear meters (390 linear feet).
CHARACTERISTICS OF COLLECTION
- Geographic location of storage: Northern Europe.
- All works are shipped framed as per international museum standards.
- Collection includes the necessary international shipping crates and packing materials ensuring safe ‘nail to nail” transport.
- Collection is comprehensive, covering a substantial part of the artist’s body of work making it capable of serving as a stand-alone exhibition.
- Museum curators are provided with extensive information and may curate the exhibition to their specifications.
- Collection may be expanded or complemented with art from the borrowing museum’s own collections.
- Collection provides endless opportunities for the development of educational programs, which we can assist with.
Past and Future Venues
June 18, 2019 - August 25, 2019, Tampere-Talo, Tampere, Finland