About 35 original paintings to be selected by museums from the collection plus a vintage Arrow collar display, 7 vintage posters and all 322 Saturday Evening Post covers done by J.C. Leyendecker.
The Leyendecker Brothers were two of the most beloved American illustrators in the first half of the 20th century, creating iconic images for the nation’s most popular magazines and fashion advertisements.
They both attended the Académie Julian in Paris, studying under some of Europe’s greatest teachers. This time abroad strengthened the brother’s connection to each other and the ﬂourishing artist community highly inﬂuenced their artworks. They returned to Chicago in 1897 before moving to New York City in 1900 as established illustrators; Joe painted his ﬁrst Saturday Evening Post cover in 1899, and Frank began a six-year twenty-six cover commission for Collier’s.
Norman Rockwell dedicated an entire chapter of his autobiography to living near the Leyendecker brothers and their influence on him.
The Leyendecker Brothers were inseparable and an enormous inﬂuence on each other, which can be seen through viewing their original artworks. From the early sketches of their days as students in Paris to the completed canvases for magazine covers, Joe and Frank left an unforgettable mark on the American art community and each other.
Paintings Drawings & Prints
Available Package Options
Collection and interpretation
More Details About Technical Requirements
DISPLAY - The paintings and prints in the exhibition are approximately 200 linear feet. The Saturday Evening Post covers are approximately 100 linear feet, however that can vary greatly depending on how they are hung. Usually they are hung in four rows on top of each other. However, as long as they are arranged chronologically they can be condensed or expanded as much as needed.
Past and Future Venues
- Reynolda House Museum of American Art, August 31, 2019 - December 31, 2019, Winston-Salem NC, USA
ORIGINAL WORKS - About 35 original paintings to be selected by museums from the collection plus a vintage Arrow collar display, 7 vintage posters and all 322 Saturday Evening Post covers done by J.C. Leyendecker.
HIGHLIGHTS - The artworks of the Leyendecker Brothers epitomize the American style of the first half of the 20th century through magazine covers and advertisements.
EXHIBITION MATERIALS - High resolution images, captions, wall texts.
CHARACTERISTICS OF COLLECTION
- Geographic location of storage: U.S.A. (north-east).
- All works are shipped framed as per international museum standards.
- Collection includes the necessary international shipping crates and packing materials ensuring safe ‘nail to nail” transport.
- Collection is comprehensive, covering a substantial part of the artist’s body of work making it capable of serving as a stand-alone exhibition.
- Museum curators are provided with extensive information and may curate the exhibition to their specifications.
- Collection may be expanded or complemented with art from the borrowing museum’s own collections.
- Collection provides endless opportunities for the development of educational programs, which we can assist with.
Artworks of the Leyendecker Brothers epitomise the American style of the first half of the 20th century. This collection presents original paintings, a vintage Arrow collar display, vintage posters and Saturday Evening Post covers. The collection is available throughout 2020.